Read Write Reflect Revise Routine – RWRR
Self-Regulation Reading Comprehension Routine
Read Write Reflect Revise Routine – RWRR Four times per week, students will:
- Read silently at their independent level – start with 2 minutes – move to 5 minutes
- Write about their reading – offer a prompt such as: sum it up, make a connection, ask a question, make a prediction, write with detail about a character or place or problem, and/or critique the craft or structure of the text.
- Track the features they used to support their reading.
- Discuss with assigned table mate(s) using Reading Exchange protocol – first person reads their writing out loud; both students think for 30 seconds; then second person reads their writing out loud; both students think for 30 seconds.
- Compare their responses using the Open Exchange protocol – talk about what they heard for 1 minute (what was the same; what was different); work toward 2 minutes, or more, of discussion.
Return to Starting Position
- Revise writing.
Reflect and Goal Set – One time per week, students will:
- Silently read their writing from the previous four days – 2 to 5 minutes – and review the previous week’s goal.
- Write a bulleted list of observations about their writing, such as:
- Content: describe or summarize (characters, problem, setting)
- Vocabulary: new or found
- Raise questions
- Mechanics – complete sentences, capital letters, punctuation, spelling
- Revisions – what kind of revisions did they make after discussing with their
- Note features that were useful in Light Sail this week
- Comment on work toward last week’s goal.
- Review: with their partners, using the Reading Exchange protocol – first person reads their observations out loud; all students think for 30 seconds; then second person reads their observations out loud; all students think for 30 seconds.
- Compare their observations using Open Exchange protocol – students talk about what they heard for 1 minute – work toward 2 minutes.
Return and Goal Set
- Plan ahead: each student sets a goal for the next week and records the goal in the journal.